Freezing is a simple and least time-consuming method to preserve vegetables, especially at home. The natural colour, flavour and nutritive values of fresh commodities are well preserved. Carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, okra, peas, tomatoes, turnips, bitter gourd, spinach and other vegetables can be frozen.
- Stainless Steel Kettle
- Polythene Bag
- Select fresh and tender vegetables.
- Prepare the vegetable in a manner similar to the one adopted for cooking at home.
- Whole tomatoes need only washing. After drying these may be packed in polythene bags and frozen.
- Blanch vegetables for 3 to 5 minutes Carrots: 5 minutes, Cauliflower: 3 minutes, Okra: 3 minutes, Peas: 3 minutes, Spinach: 2 minutes and Turnips: 5 minutes.
- Cool in running cold water.
- Prepare consumer packs by packing about 1/2 kg vegetable in polythene bags.
- Press to remove as much air as possible and seal.
- Place in the freezer taking care that there is only one layer of the packs.
- Freeze the packs. Keep frozen till used.